Regional LEAP Trainings (& Train the Trainers)
The LEAP Foundation is a 501(c)(3) that provides science-based education, training and other support to individuals and organizations wishing to learn about serious mental illness (SMI), anosognosia and how to more effectively help those suffering from these disorders.
Our goal top goal is to train family caregivers, mental healthcare and criminal justice professionals—involved in the care, recovery and safety of persons suffering from SMI—on how to create relationships that lead to treatment (The LEAP Program).
The #1 reason 6+ million people with serious mental illness (SMI) in the U.S. refuse treatment is ANOSOGNOSIA—a brain-based symptom that impairs the ability to see their own illness, resulting in high risk of:
- Refusal of treatment and treatment drop-outs
- Involuntary hospitalizations
- Poorer course of illness
Join world-renowned expert in psychiatry and forensic psychology, Dr. Xavier Amador for a 1-Day Course or 2-Day Training Certification at one of LEAP Foundation’s training events to learn and teach others how to create relationships with persons with SMI that lead to treatment and recovery.
LEAP Course (1st Day)—learn the LEAP® Approach
- Identify Anosognosia vs. "Denial"
- Lower anger, resistance and defensiveness
- Re-establish broken relationships/ alliances
- Create an alliance/relationship that leads to treatment
- Learning and practicing the 7 LEAP® Communication Tools
- Cutting edge science-based practices
- Updated Anosognosia Research
- "I'M NOT SICK, I Don't Need Help" book
- Interactive role plays
Train The Trainer (TTT) Certification (Additional Day)—learn to teach the LEAP® Approach
Enroll in both days (LEAP Course & TTT Certification) to become a Certified LEAP® Trainer, and join a national network of Mental Health & Healthcare Professionals, Family Caregivers, Peer Specialists and Criminal Justice Professionals.
- Receive a detailed LEAP Trainer Manual and Training Materials
- Slides and Handouts needed to teach LEAP are provided
- Receive ongoing training and feedback from Dr. Amador and senior LEAP Institute Faculty
- Access to TTT Webinars and Conferences
Who Should Attend?
Mental Health & Healthcare Professionals, Family Caregivers, Peer Specialists and Criminal Justice Professionals.